This is an almost completely finished tram line, between a certain city center and a suburb, that was never taken into operation.
This line (also called ‘centenaire’) winds through numerous workers’ districts and past recently built residential blocks, but its usefulness has never seen anyone from the local residents.
The whole area is served by numerous bus lines, so the need to step on a subway was very small from the start.
Since there has never been a tram along the platforms, the pick-up points have never seen a traveler.
The steel gates of the stations remain closed until today and only constitute an exquisite canvas for graffiti painters.
The entire route is shielded from curious people and neighbors as much as possible, but here and there you can witness the abandoned stops and take a walk in the trambed that is starting to look more and more like a city jungle.
During the 1970s and 1980s the crisis hit mercilessly in the area and the money dried up so that only a very few metro lines in the city could be taken in use.
Full set @
The name of this former station refers to the castle, which was built in 1874 by King Leopold II.
He wanted to make the area the tourist center of Belgium, and had the castle converted into a luxurious hotel for kings and the rich of the world.
After the construction of a railway in 1896 a special stop was built here to receive guests for the luxury hotel.
From January 1st, 1898, the hotel was operated by the Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits.
A tilted turret was erected on a round wall just next to the tracks. The enclosure is in fact the road that leads through the forest to the castle domain, laid out in a circular shape around the turret.
The station was taken out of use in 1919, when the luxury hotel suffered a lot of damage during the First World War and was closed.
In 1921 the hotel was opened again, but the station remained closed for good.
Several buildings of the castle domain were demolished in the 1970s, but the “station building” remained.
Full set @